Arnold Daniel Palmer, the pro golfing legend, passed away on September 25, 2016 at the age of 94. Regarded as one of the greatest players professional golf has ever seen, he won a tremendous number of events on the PGA Tour and Champions Tour from 1955-onwards.
In addition to his winning ways, Palmer was famously quotable, and spoke a good deal on his secrets to winning. Here are some of his best quotes pertaining to winning and success that any entrepreneur can apply to their pursuits:
- The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.
- Always make a total effort, even when the odds are against you.
- The road to success is always under construction.
- I’m not much for sitting around and thinking about the past or talking about the past. What does that accomplish? If I can give young people something to think about, like the future, that’s a better use of my time.
- Concentration, Confidence, Competitive urge, Capacity for enjoyment.
- I never quit trying. I never felt that I didn’t have a chance to win.
- Concentration comes out of a combination of confidence and hunger.
- I’ve always made a total effort, even when the odds seemed entirely against me. I never quit trying; I never felt that I didn’t have a chance to win.
- What do I mean by concentration? I mean focusing totally on the business at hand and commanding your body to do exactly what you want it to do.
- Winning isn’t everything, but wanting it is.
- The more I practice, the luckier I get.
Which of the above Arnold Palmer quotes are most applicable to your career? Here’s hoping a few of the above inspires us to even a fraction of the success that he was able to create on and off the golf course.